Based on Article 18 and Article 23 of the Law on Associations and Foundations (“Official Gazette of RM”, No. 52 from 16.04.2010) and the Statute of CIVIL, the Assembly of CIVIL at its session held on March 31, 2017, adopted the following
VISION AND MISSION
CIVIL – Center for Freedom (hereinafter referred to as CIVIL) is a non-profit association of citizens, formed with free association for the purpose of achieving its mission of social interest.
CIVIL’ vision is a world in which all people live in a peaceful and democratic society, in which:
- Human rights and freedoms are fully respected;
- There is no violence and the cult towards weapons is overcome;
- There is no discrimination and chauvinism in any form;
- There is complete freedom of expression and the media are free and independent of the influence of the centers of power;
- The institutions are independent and fully committed to the interests of the citizens;
- The elections are fair and democratic, and the citizens are continuously organizing and participating in decision-making processes;
- Culture and art are an integral part of the everyday life of society;
- Ecology and protection of the environment are the basic criteria for development.;
The views stated are practiced in indivisible form.
In search of its vision, CIVIL’s mission is:
- To conduct active education, promotion and defense of human rights and freedoms;
- To provide active contribution to sustainable peace and to the processes of reconciliation;
- To carry out actions for conflict prevention, effective control of weapons and overcoming the cult towards weapons;
- To conduct active education, promotion and defense of freedom of expression;
- To provide active contribution to the development of free and independent media;
- To conduct a dynamic strategy for culture and art;
- To initiate or support local, national, regional or global processes for peace and stabilization, non-violent conflict resolution, human rights and democracy through public relations and membership in national, regional and international associations and structures;
- To provide active contribution to integrating ecology into the development strategies at all levels.
In CIVIL, all members of the project, monitoring and other teams and collaborators work together towards accomplishing their vision and mission, through continuous and effective action based on full respect for human rights, their universality and indivisibility, as well as towards solidarity, equality, impartiality, democracy and mutual respect. Every individual, in relation to CIVIL agrees with its vision and mission and will strive for its basic values in their private and professional life. The Universal Declaration of Human Rights is considered an integral part of this Statute.
CIVIL demands from the decision-making structures at the local, national and international level, from the Government, relevant institutions, intergovernmental organizations, armed and political groups, companies and other non-governmental actors, to open up the burning issues in the community and in society, to work together with the citizens in accordance with CIVIL’s vision, mission and program.
CIVIL investigates the facts and modalities of various abuses in society and in institutions thoroughly and impartially, and publishes its findings and views. CIVIL’s various bodies, members, supporters and staff mobilize the public pressure over the Government and institutions at the local and national level, for them to correct their policies and practices, and to decisively prevent and sanction the abuses.
CIVIL influences the Government, Parliament, institutions and other centers of power, at the local and national level, to be responsible and transparent and to abide by the principles of the rule of law, democracy and human rights and freedoms.
CIVIL implements a wide range of activities in the area of public awareness, education, lobbying and advocacy.
CIVIL monitors, analyzes and gives recommendations in regards to policies and practices in the sphere of elections, electoral legislation and election processes.
CIVIL encourages intergovernmental and non-governmental organizations, individuals and all parts of society to support, respect and work for the benefit of human rights and freedoms, peace and society without weapons and violence.
CIVIL realizes its goals and program activities in accordance with the Constitution of RM and this Statute, as well as with other legal norms and international standards that regulate the matter in this area.
RIGHTS AND OBLIGATIONS OF THE MEMBERS OF THE ASSOCIATION
Any citizen of Republic of Macedonia may become a member of CIVIL if they voluntarily join the Association and have been for at least 6 (six) months previously a supporter of the vision, mission, basic values stated in the present Statute as well as of the methods for achieving them, regardless of their racial, national or religious affiliation. Becoming a member is performed with an application form, which is returned after termination of membership.
The Executive Committee of the Association decides on admission to membership in the Association.
CIVIL’s members have rights and obligations in accordance to the provisions of this Statute, positive legal regulations and internal acts.
CIVIL’s members actively participate in implementing and realizing the program goals and aims of the Association and enjoy the privileges that arise from the decisions of the Association – to be elected and to elect.
CIVIL’s members acquire the right to be elected as representatives of all members of the Association in the Assembly after at least 3 (three) years of active membership, upon the proposal of 5 representatives of the members of the Association in the Assembly or 20 (twenty) members of the Association.
Membership in CIVIL may be terminated by a written statement of the member for withdrawal of membership in the Association and by withdrawal with a decision of the Assembly, if the member does not abide by the provisions of the Statute and other acts, and also upon the proposal of the Executive Committee or the President of CIVIL.
The Association keeps a register of its members, which is updated once a year.
The President represents CIVIL in its relations with third parties.
The President has a mandate of 5 years with a right to re-election, without limiting the number of mandates.
The name of the Association of citizens is ЦИВИЛ – Центар за слобода, CIVIL – Qendër për Liri, CIVIL – Center for Freedom, abbreviated: ЦИВИЛ or CIVIL.
CIVIL’s seat is located in Skopje.
CIVIL is organized and acts on the territory of the Republic of Macedonia, and by associating with other organizations whose program aims are the same or similar, as well as with independent projects, CIVIL also acts on a regional and international level.
CIVIL is a legal entity.
CIVIL has its own seal and stamp.
The seal is round and contains the name ЦИВИЛ /CIVIL, as well as the names Скопје /Shkup and Р. Македонија/R. e Maqedonisë.
CIVIL’s stamp is rectangular with the following text: ЦИВИЛ/CIVIL – Центар за слобода/Qendër për Liri, Бр/Nr, Датум/Data, Место/Vendi.
CIVIL has its own symbol as shown below:
CIVIL’s work is public.
Publicity in the work is provided by regularly informing the public through the media, communication means and through its own electronic or printed publications.
CIVIL’s resources derive from:
- The Budget
- Fees from organs, organizations, communities and other institutions
- Trade companies
- Other services
The use and disposal of CIVIL’s resources acquired on the basis of the previous Article is performed in a manner determined with this Statute and other legal norms.
The organs of CIVIL decide on the use and disposal of the resources, in accordance with the competencies determined with the present Statute, which take measures for an economically appropriate use of the resources and for prevention and removal of irregularities.
ORGANS OF CIVIL
The organs of CIVIL are:
- Executive Committee
- Supervisory Board
- Advisory Body
- Expert team
- Honorary members
- Section of international members
- Other structures and networks
The President of CIVIL is the supreme function in the organization.
The President of CIVIL is elected at a session of CIVIL’s Assembly by a majority vote of the total number of present members of CIVIL’s Assembly.
The Assembly consists of:
- Representatives of the members of the Association
- Members of the Executive Committee
- Members of the Supervisory Board
- Managers of branches or their deputies
The competencies of the Assembly are as follows:
- Adopts the Statute of CIVIL and makes amendments and supplements to the same
- Elects and dismisses members of the Executive Committee
- Elects and dismisses members of the Supervisory Board
- Elects the President of the Supervisory Board
- Adopts a program orientation for the work of CIVIL for a period of 5 years, operationalized in the annual programs
- Monitors the material and financial situation
- Approves a financial plan and adopts CIVIL’s annual financial statement
- Debates on the results and development achieved by CIVIL and gives directions for further development
- Decides on the establishment and dissolution of branches and other forms of organization within the framework of CIVIL
- Decides on any status changes of the Association
- Decides on the dissolution of the Association by a two-third majority of all members of the Association
- Decides on conflict of interests
- Performs other activities in accordance with the Statute and the acts of the Association.
The Assembly, as a rule, adopts the decisions by a majority vote of the representatives of the members of the Association present in the Assembly.
The Executive Committee of CIVIL is an executive organ of the Assembly.
A member of the Executive Committee can be dismissed with a majority vote of the Executive Committee.
The competencies of the Executive Committee are:
- Elects the President of the Executive Committee
- Implements the statutory and program commitments of CIVIL
- Adopts and realizes an annual program
- Proposes amendments and supplements to the Statute
- Adopts appropriate rulebooks, procedures, accepts agreements and concludes contracts
- Convenes sessions of the Assembly
- Adopts decisions on the establishment of standing and temporary committees and directs their work
- Adopts decisions for procurement and disposal of fixed assets
- Gives consent to the Rulebook on the organization of the work and work tasks of CIVIL’s project team and administration
- Adopts decisions in terms of complaints and appeals
- The work of the Executive Committee is regulated by Rules of Procedure
The Supervisory Board is accountable for its work before the Assembly.
The Supervisory board works independently and upon the order of the Assembly, and in particular:
- Performs supervision on the correctness of the elections in the Association
- Performs insights in the material and financial operations and revisions of the current operations
- Performs supervision on the fulfillment of the rights and obligations of the members in terms of the Statute and acts of the Association
After dissolution of the work of the Association, the property and other rights and revenues, which remain after the obligations have been settled, are transferred to the ownership of others.
All issues that have not been anticipated with the provisions of the Statute, and are in accordance with the Law on Associations and Foundations, as well as the Constitution of RM, are considered an integral part of this Statute.
This Statute enters into force on the day of its adoption.
Xhabir Memedi Deralla
This post is also available in: Macedonian